English is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world, in some schools in English speaking countries children are told they don’t need to learn foreign languages “because everyone speaks English” (a point I disagree with for many reasons but that’s a story for another day). But when choosing what language to blog in should you choose English?
Reasons to choose English:
- A heck of a lot of people speak English – to some level or other. This means that you’re going to have a pretty wide target audience. The number of people who speak English as a native language is large, but the number of people learning English as a foreign language at any moment in time tends to be even larger.
- Countries where English is spoken as a native language tend to be well off. This means that if at any point you want to sell a product then you know that your readers (or some of them) will have the means to buy it.
- People learn English as a foreign language – you know that even if you don’t speak Japanese, or Swahili, the people who speak those as native languages probably learnt English at some point in their lives.
Reasons not to choose English:
- You’ll stand out from the crowd. After all, everyone chooses English!
- Blogging in your native language is easier. If you’re writing in any foreign language then you will almost certainly spend more time working on your blog posts, proofing them, etc. And the one time you don’t? I can guarantee that mistake will be horrible!
At the end of the day though it all depends on your blog topic. If you’re blogging about regional events that are going on, or something that affects a local population then choose the native language. If you’re blogging about your new life in France (for example) then definitely include French in your blog posts. If you’re more comfortable writing in a different language then definitely give it a go. The internet seems to be becoming very English-centered and it would be nice to see some more multiculturalism going on around here!
What are your thoughts? Which language do you blog in and why?